Jan 22, 2007

I'm bringing schmecksy back


...yeah!

On January 15, Edna Staebler, the author of the legendary Food that Really Schmecks, would have been 101 years old. I was introduced to Edna’s recipes about 6 years ago, when I was rummaging around in the books section of the Salvation Army and came across a 90-page booklet called Cakes and Frostings with Schmecks Appeal. Something about the photo of the mischievous, grandmotherly lady on the back, wearing enormous glasses and surrounded by baked goods, convinced me to take it home.

The recipe that I tried first was the one with, to me, the most succinct, Zen-like introduction:

“Whenever Norm serves this cake, I hear someone say, ‘Gee, this is good cake.’”

How could I not be intrigued? Described by a friend as “ridiculously moist,” this cake is truly fantastic and I’ve made it probably a dozen times now. It holds a special place in my heart as the first dish that led me into the magical, schmecksy (tasty) world of Edna Staebler.

And it's my contribution to A Day That Really Schmecks, a celebration of Edna's life and work masterminded by Jasmine over at Cardamom Addict.

Happy birthday, Edna.


Chocolate Chip Date Cake


First, boiling water and baking soda are added to chopped dates, creating some nice fizzing action.


Yes, I know, this mixture is really barfy-looking. But soon, it will shake off its humble appearance and make the final result all the more sweet.

As the barfiness cools, we move on to the creaming. Oh boy, that just sounds filthy... anyways, a moment of awe for Edna: a cook from a more fearless time, she used shortening, God love her, and lived to 100.


After eggs, sugar and vanilla (I broke out the real McKoy for this special occasion - not that Edna would have ever turned her nose up at the faux shizz):


Note how the Harvest Yellow Kitchenaid is the exact shade of creamed fat, sugar and eggs.

At this juncture, we reach the first of this cake's two magical "Ednavations": the baked-on topping mix of brown sugar, chocolate chips and nuts.


Oh, yum, a baked-on topping. Prior to Edna entering my world, I had never before experienced this easy, unfussy and practical way to crown a cake.

After flour and salt are added to the Harvest Yellow mixture, the batter is complete. Note how the dates are still in "pieces" and it looks like a yellow cake batter - but for how long?


Topping is sprinkled on, and it's ready to bake.


After 50 minutes, behold the second Ednavation:


Where did the dates go? Why, they've baked into the cake - creating a rich, brown, almost chocolatey-looking finished product! I finished the last piece a week later, and it was still moist beyond all logic.

And extremely schmecksy.

2 comments:

Meg said...

Hi there! This is a great first foray into food blogging with a very clever post AND blog title (I'm jealous). I'll be keeping an eye out for your future blog entries.

Cheers,
Meg

jasmine said...

I thought I'd left a comment already. Oh well..

Absolutely wonderful. Thanks for taking part!

j